Chief Petty Officer's Association
Cleveland, OH

CPOA Chain
General Information

VA Adds Ships to Agent Orange List
The Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA) announced in September that it has expanded its list of ships that served in areas of Vietnam that now qualify for disability compensation due to Agent Orange herbicide exposure. The list is available at, or call the Special Issues Helpline at 1-800-749-8387 and press 3. If you served on any of these ships between 9 Jan 1962 and 7 May 1975, you may want to check it out.

Your driverís license can now show that you are/were a member of the military. An ďArmed ForcesĒ stamp on license or state ID provides veterans recognition, especially useful at stores that give discounts to military and require a photo ID. Some retailers are confused over active duty/reserve/retired cards, but having the status stamped on your Ohio driverís license can clear up any confusion. Next time you renew your license, take in your military ID or DD-214 or DD-215, leave and earnings statement or copy of current orders. (Bob Pallat just did his this month and it was very easy, no charge, at the BMV).

Hereís a checklist provided by DFAS, courtesy of Jerry Murphy, for us. He also adds some info from a retired Navy captain regarding other places to notify and things to do.

1. Social Security (800) 772-1213
2. DFAS (800) 269-5170, fax (800) 469-6559 for copy of death certificate
3. DEERS (800) 538-9552
4. if receiving disability or dependency indemnity compensation, Dept. of Veteran Affairs (800) 827-1000
5. Servicemanís Group Life (SGLI) or VGLI, and any other life insurance companies the decedent used.
6. All financial institutions and stock brokers.
7. Voting registrar to remove name from voter registry.
8. Title to personal and real property.
9. Motor vehicles for name of owner to be changed.
10. Former employers in case of any death benefits or insurance, annuities through them.
11. Fraternal organizations or alumni associations of which decedent was a member.
12. Church, synagogue or other religious organization.

Your Shipís Store has a couple of new items and are available for viewing at the "Ship's Store" section of this site. Now available are Khaki colored golf shirts & CPO bottle openers. Menís & ladies shirts are available. Sizes Med Ė XXL. Shirts are $27 each. Bottle openers are $17(E7), $18(E8), $19(E9) each. CPOA ball Caps are $10.

Keep Your Records Current in order to receive your pay and other benefits on time every time, it's important to review your retired pay account information regularly to ensure it is current.

Branch of Service Newsletters: Did you know that each branch of service has newsletters available online?

Direct Deposit: Better Service, Better Security - The most efficient, timely and secure way to receive your pay is by direct deposit.

myPay Puts You in Control - Whether it's changing your bank account information or adjusting your federal tax withholding, you can manage your account online using myPay!

Anyone wishing information on the local FRA chapter or wishing to join, contact GMC Ed Blind.

Any active duty service (as evidenced by a DD 214) from 1957 through 2001 (program done away with on 1 January 2002), qualifies for extra earnings credit. Not just for military retirees, but anyone who has served on active duty between January 1957 to 31 Dec 01. Ask for this benefit when you apply for social security.

For those who were previously on active duty or mobilized there is a new online service to allow you to get a copy of your DD-214. Also if you are the next of kin of a deceased service member you can use this link to get a copy of the deceased member's DD-214.

Cancellation of DOD Vehicle Decal Program
NAVADMIN 146/13 announced that effective 1 July 2013 vehicles will no longer be required to have a DOD decal (sticker) to enter bases. Vehicles must continue to be licensed, insured, registered, and inspected in accordance with state and local laws. Rental vehicle contracts will suffice as proper documentation. This policy is reflective of DOD policy which cancelled decals for all military bases (i.e. Wright-Pat etc.).

If you want to get or renew an ID card and donít want to travel all the way to the Akron NOSC, you can go Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday (not Sat/Sun) between 0800-1500 to the 26th floor of the federal building on East Ninth. Room 2679. Quick, accurate service, and friendly, too!

The free-standing emergency centers not affiliated with any hospital may look convenient, but might not be covered by your Tricare. Better to check first, before care is needed, by going to (courtesy of Shift Colors, Summer 2013 issue).

The summer issue of Shift Colors also has a good checklist for survivors of military retirees. Itís attached to this newsletter or go to for a copy. Good stuff!

Looking for uniform pieces/parts? Try

Looking for older navy training manuals? Check out